Weich continues his scintillating form…

After returning from a short international tour to Georgia with the WP Rugby Academy – Fullback, Marlo Weich continued his excellent form by scoring no fewer than four tries for Hamilton SP-RFC in their big 55 – 6 away at Primrose on Saturday. Amazingly Marlo Weich also scored all five of the WP Academy tries in there three match series against the Georgian u/20 team who are preparing to participate and host the Under 20 – Rugby World Cup.

Marlo’s terrific skills and performances have also been noticed by the SWD Eagles and the youngster will join them tomorrow on a two week trial.

Coach, Niekkie Viljoen once again had to make changes to the team after their good home win against UniMil.  A few of his key players picking up light concussions and knocks and others were returning from provincial call-up and international participation. Niekkie went for a 4/3 split with Captain, Brendon Groenewald returning to the starting line-up.

The evergreen Centre, Morgan Newman made his first start of the season for the 1 st team from the bench for the injured Kobus Loubser. MOTM – Marlo Weich started at fullback with Shane Vallender moving to flyhalf while Siya Alam was moved to the bench.

Current WP – Winger, Valentino Wellman made his Hammies debut by replacing the injured Brendon Asher-Wood while Neil Cleghorn moved to the back of the scrum for the injured Patrick O’Brien. A couple of rotating changes made up the rest of the team selection.

Primrose RFC who had come off a heartfelt last minute one point loss to the undefeated Belhar RFC a week prior, were confident at upsetting the undefeated Hamilton’s with their five Kenyan internationals in the starting line-up. Within five minutes of the start, Marlo Weich opened the scoring with a blind side backline move. The big pack of Primrose started gaining momentum with their pick-up driving rucks during the next twenty minutes and two converted penalties saw the home team lead 6-5 after 25 minutes.

Hammies struck back immediately after the restart by scoring a well-earned team try by their hat trick Winger, Iewan Bartels on the stroke of halftime, debutant Valentino Wellman scored his first ever Hammies try from a brilliantly executed set piece move. Flyhalf, Shane Vallender converted for a 17-6 lead.

The bonus point try was secured within one minute of the second half when Iewan Bartels scored his second try from yet another quality team set piece move. Marlo Weich added his second try eight minutes later and then scored his hat trick try 13 minutes from fulltime from broken play.

With all the bench impact players on the field, Hamilton’s ran riot by scoring three fantastically taken running rugby tries in the last ten minutes of the match. Iewan Bartels got his third after good running play when Morgan Newman made the perfect offload. Bartels then became provider from a great run before feeding Marlo Weich for his fourth try.

The ninth and final try was scored in the last move of the game when Shane Vallender scored a brilliant team try. Captain, Brendon Groenewald created a chuckle from the squad and loyal supporters when he missed the conversion from in front of the uprights.

Blue Head …. It is one down of the three consecutive away games to go for May.